Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Hooting Good Time


I went to a most unusual bridal shower today. It was for the soon-to-be daughter-in-law of a good friend of mine.
I didn't know anything about any sort of entertainment. I was so busy up until I went that I didn't have the time to get myself stressed out at the prospect of some Chippendale-type guys showing up. For some reason the thought of half-naked men dancing and wanting me to put dollars in their G-strings has never been my thing.
I brought my gift, and showed up on time (almost) and was surprised to find out that there was indeed going to be entertainment. No half-naked men were going to dance, we were going to have an hour long demonstration with owls!
Unbeknownst to me, the bride-to-be LOVES owls.
This lovely woman named Marcia from Eyes on Owls brought six with her - from a tiny Saw Whet, to a spectacular Snowy, a Screech and a couple of others I can't remember.
I had never been that close to an owl before and they were gorgeous. We couldn't touch them though, which was frustrating. I love animals and am always wanting friends cats to sit on my lap and will hold gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs - but nothing slimy. Ever. No snakes, No reptiles. Nothing personal, I'm sure there are some lovely snakes and reptiles out there, but I'm sorry, I can't warm up to these cold-blooded creatures.
I loved being able to eat chips and dip and commune with owls. There was something very fun about going to a shower that did something so outside of the box. I applaud the young bridesmaids who know the bride so well that they planned a party that was so...her. So many times parties play it safe and go all traditional. I think unusual is always a good thing.
Given the choice of men wearing bow ties and little else, or owls, I'll take the owls any day. I think they have a lot more dignity, and I didn't once out of embarrassment try to figure out just where to look. Thankfully their feathers covered everything quite nicely.

2 comments:

Fran said...

As a Cape Cod owl lover, I was delighted to read this sparkly piece. Who would ever expect to have owls at a bridal shower? I am like this writer in preferences. Putting money in big men's little panties wouldn't do a thing for me either. Good thing the guests weren't allowed to touch the owls. Prior to learning that 'cute' does not equate 'friendliness' I peered way too closely at a screech owl early one morning, who then decided it would be a good time to dive bomb my head. This was a lovely read. I hope Ms. Hammond will let us know how the other young girls top the idea of bringing owls to a bridal shower. For other readers, I'd like to share that I've never read a story from Ms. Hammond that I haven't immediately been captured by - in her first sentence. Her stories are so varied in subject matter, that I enjoy being surprised each time I read her articles. No matter what, I always come away looking forward to her next post.

Diane said...

THANK you for this refreshing article!
I was fortunate to be in attendance at this bridal shower for my daughter. What a treat in education!
Blue skies, soft breezes, and beautiful nature to be appreciated and admired..with a bit of cake on the side
It was nice to have met you
Only the best!
Sincerely,
Diane