Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Award Crisis


I'm reeling. Completely beside myself. Over the last couple of days it's become evident that due to the Writer's Guild strike, there will be no televised Golden Globe Awards ceremony this year.

This is just the beginning folks, if those studio honchos don't get their act together and resume negotiating with the striking writers. Now I'm not a WGA member, I hope to be one day, and it seems to me that writers wanting a piece of the Internet and DVD pie is not unreasonable.

If you're not into "Award Season" this may not seem too serious, but say they decided to cancel the Super Bowl, yeah, maybe now you understand my pain.

What will I miss by not being able to watch Golden Globes this year? Here are my top five losses:

5.Watching E! all day long, listening to catty remarks by "experts" for hours on end. Sure there's nothing really happening, but it doesn't stop me from sitting there snacking away in my sweatpants.
4. Seeing how celebrities deal with real-life issues like someone asking them a stupid question, searing heat or someone standing on the train of their dress. I wouldn't handle any of it at all well, which is why I'm happy to be on my couch.
3. Deciding which interviewer won't be invited back next year. We've been through Issac Mizrahi feeling up Scarlett Johansson, Star Jones talking about herself more than the people she's interviewing and Joan Rivers being completely clueless. It may have a certain cruelty to it, but it's fun.
2. The clothes. I love to see what everyone wears - the good, the bad and the Bjork.
1. Since the Golden Globes is a more laid-back event where they serve food and alcohol, it's always fun to see how drunk folks get,(and who gets drunk) and who actually eats.

So there you have it. Let us all hope that this strike gets resolved before there's any more serious fall-out, like no Academy Awards and no E! Fashion Emergency after-show. Life would be just a little bit bleaker.

No comments: