Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jane Austen: The First Great Chick Lit Author



Like many women, I love Jane Austen. And like many fans I am thrilled about the new PBS series starting tonight which will be, over the next several months be showing productions of all six Austen novels.

I think what appeals to me about Austen is her humor, and her incredible ability to create such tension around romance. Well, there's almost always tension around romance, but she makes it entertaining rather than a painful, ice cream-binge-eating-inducing hell.

Over eight years Austen published an amazing six novels: "Pride and Prejudice," "Persuasion," "Emma," "Sense and Sensibility," "Northanger Abbey" and "Mansfield Park." Something a writer like myself can only dream of and look at in awe.

For a woman who never married, she had a keen eye and ear for love, and I think without Elizabeth Bennet there might never have been a Bridget Jones or a Carrie Bradshaw.

If you've never read an Austen novel, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot, if you're not a reader (then you're probably not reading this entry) try a movie. Reading Austen will restore your faith in love, and the ability of it to transform and inspire.

I know after watching the last "Pride and Prejudice" production starring Keira Knightly, that all my jaded feelings about dating and romance went out the window. When Mr. Darcy came walking through the mist, long coat flowing behind, high boots strutting toward the object of his affection, Elizabeth Bennet, I audibly sighed. Who doesn't want someone to love them like that?

I know I do, and I won't ever give up looking for, or writing about it.

No comments: