Friday, August 22, 2008

Does The Fact That I Like To Bake Cupcakes Make Me Less Ambitious?


I have two very different personas. No, my nickname is not Sybil, I am quite normal actually. Well, mostly normal. All right, sort of normal.

Since I became a writer and have been appearing a few times week in print and on the Web, there is my writer persona who is the sometimes snarky, often ditzy pop culture fan who dishes about Madonna, Angelina and talks about the music you must hear. Then there is another side. The super-responsible mother of three who yes, bakes cupcakes (cookies too!) and, OMG! even knits.

There was a piece in the UK paper, The Guardian today about just this thing: "Do Feminists Make Cupcakes?" that got me thinking about this whole topic once again. Does being domestic make you less formidable professionally?

I feel like Carrie Bradshaw when I pose the question:Can you be super-successful AND be a girly girl who likes to bake, knit and take care of the people you love?

Certainly Martha Stewart has made millions bridging that gap between commerce and cake baking, but since she's making money making those cakes so I'm not sure that counts.

I am talking about those of us who are ambitious, hard-working and driven, but also have this kind of June Cleaver side and like doing things that might make us look like throwbacks to a different era.

The benefits of the feminist movement are vast and I'm very grateful for them. I love the fact that I can do and be anything I want to be. And I love that my daughter has even more doors open to her than I ever did.

But, all that said. I like having some of those doors held open for me, heavy things lifted and the ugly bugs removed -they don't have to be killed - just put elsewhere. I like knitting scarves (my knitting expertise is limited but sincere) and I make a pretty decent creme brulee. I often wonder how to meld these two diametrically opposed parts into one person who can do it all. I think it's possible, it's just going to take some juggling.

I have a fantasy (not THAT kind) about someday opening up a really cool cupcake shop. Maybe with my daughter. We'd make all sorts of delicious and pretty cupcakes and make people happy with our little pieces of sugary goodness.

Of course I still want to be a best-selling author.

I'm thinking maybe the best thing the feminist movement gave us is to be able to live in a time where I can have my writing career and bake my cupcakes too.

2 comments:

Cape Cod Gal said...

Yes! You can be super sucessful, kick ass chick AND be Martha Stewart! I love to bake, knit, garden and make poor attempts at craft projects. But, I love working 80 hours a week, hangin' with the guys and drinking a beer! Shame on those silly women out there that look down on those who embrace our June Cleaver side while acting like Carrie Bradshaw. It's fun to have 2 sides to your personality! BTW, check out my blog. You'll see that I'm June, Carrie and a bit of Sybil all rolled into one! CHEERS!! http://diamondatwork.blogspot.com/

Hallowtide said...

To Cape Cod Gal--What silly women? Maybe we should just be ourselves and stop identifying with media constructed characters. Then we could bake, work, or do whatever suited us without calling each other names.