Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hey Hey Hey - It's Cosby. Another not-so-close brush with greatness



One of the perks of my job is that once in a while I get to go to things for free. Yesterday was one of those rare moments where I got to do something that was fun, and I didn't have to pay for it.

On the Cape one of the most popular venues for entertainment in the summer is the Cape Cod Melody Tent in Hyannis. Every year they attract a wide assortment of entertainment. For instance: Tony Bennett, Ani DiFranco, Gretchen Wilson, and yesterday, Bill Cosby.

There are good things and not so good things about this place - the worst being on a hot day, like it was yesterday, you feel like a baked potato wrapped in foil in an oven. A really hot oven.

Before the show my friend Betty and I grabbed some ice cold bottled water (I promise the bottle will end up in my recycle bin) and chilled out (well, as chill as it could be at 83 degrees) in a tent set up for the media folks who had generously been offered tickets. I think there were seven of us, not exactly a huge crowd. There were a few platters of fruit, sushi and cheese that I stealthily avoided thinking raw fish and cheese don't exactly thrive in heat while listeria does.
The best part of the pre-show show was spending time with my friend Bill's dad, a charming guy who had one fun story after another to share with us. I seriously found what he was telling us more interesting than a lot of what Cosby later went on to share. I realized as I listened to him talk about what Providence, RI was like in 1939, how easy it is to not think the stories your own parents tell you are as interesting as someone fresh to the scene does. My mom grew up in that same era and she's told me about college years in Boston during the blackouts and rationing of World War II, and think I need to pay more attention.
After spending time with Bill and Ed we found our way to our sticky seats and fanned ourselves furiously.
When Bill Cosby took to the stage it was a little surreal and kind of helped me to forget that I was frying. I've watched this man my whole life, listened to his records and raised my kids watching "The Cosby Show." He is truly an icon. His ease on stage, in sweatpants and a T-shirt (and Crocs as Bill pointed out in this review today - he obviously had a better seat than me, I couldn't see the shoes) was remarkable, something that can only be honed after years and years of performing.
What really touched my heart was placed on the back of the folding chair he sat in, moved about and straddled at times, was a sweatshirt that said in rainbow colored letters, "Hello Friend." I knew the phrase from when Cosby's only son, Ennis was killed in 1997 at 28-years-old. It was something Ennis said upon greeting people, and his family started the Hello Friend foundation to continue the work Ennis hoped to do as a special education teacher. As a mom it really got me. And when he mentioned Ennis in a bit about kids leaving their stuff at your house, I thought I cannot imagine what that loss feels like and I hope I never do.
I can't say I was blown away by the comedy. I found some of the stories long and a little tedious, but I am so glad I went and got to spend time with two great men of a certain age. They have a lot to teach us. And the good news is you don't have to be a TV star to make an impact, all you have to do is be who you are. Sometimes the person sharing is a celebrity, but more often than not it's just a really nice guy with bright blue eyes who makes you laugh.

No comments: