Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Christian Bale Makes a F@#$%^* Ass of Himself



WARNING: The above video is not safe for work or appropriate for children. Nor is the link about David O'Russell. I don't want you getting fired!

I'll be honest. I have a really low threshold for people behaving badly. I think people should always treat others with respect, and acting out - unless life and limb of yourself, a loved one or especially a child is involved, you don't go off on people.

When I heard this audio tape of Christian Bale abusing the director of photography on the set of a movie I felt really uncomfortable and disappointed. I don't have any particular feelings about Mr. Bale one way or another, but it's just disquieting to hear one human being talking this way to another one.

I had two immediate thoughts: First, how does one person think they have the right to speak to anyone like that? And second I thought, wow, if he speaks to people like this in anger in an open area, what is he like to his girlfriend or wife in private? Does he get angry at her like this? It's hard to imagine in all other walks of like he's an angel after hearing how this expletive-laced tirade flowed from his tongue.

There was a great story a couple of years ago about George Clooney clocking director David O'Russell on the set of "Three Kings" for the way he repeatedly treated staff on the set of the film. Clooney told him he didn't have the right to talk to anyone like that. Ever. And then he punched him. Now I'm not one to promote violence, but I think O'Russell had it coming. O'Russell later went on to show this temper once again, this time in the set of "I Heart Huckabees" where we went off of Lily Tomlin. Seems to be a pattern perhaps?

I've often wondered if for me this goes back to never getting yelled at as a child. My mom was not a yeller. She got quiet, which honestly, was just as scary. It's been rare that I've yelled as a parent (and the child I yelled at knows I'm sorry about those times :) I just don't think it's an effective way to communicate and I don't believe anyone has the right to belittle another person.

This is one of those topics that is so close to my heart it's hard to find the right words to express how I feel. Not particularly helpful for a writer. People belittling and screaming at others just strikes at something visceral in me. It actually makes me feel sick. I've only been on the receiving end of such things a couple of times and it was really hard to take. Being half of "The Bickerson's" would give me an ulcer.

When I went to see "Revolutionary Road" a few days ago I was struck at how cruel these two people could be to one another. I often think about how mean people can be to the one person they are supposed to love above all else. We know the soft spots, we know right where to hit where it will hurt the most and it's awful. I feel very blessed that when I was married it was not like that, divorce does not bring out the best in people, but at least I know we did not torment each other with digs and jabs for years. That would slowly kill me, I know that.

I often feel like a Pollyanna when I am so dumbstruck by these things. I have this inner belief that people should always try to be respectful to each other. You don't have to agree, and anger is normal, but abuse is not. There's a line that should never be crossed, and if I hear one more actor say, "Well, things can get heated on the set..." in defense of Bale I will scream. Seriously, Christian? You're an ACTOR. You're not creating world peace, curing global warming or disease. I'm not saying what you do doesn't take talent and hard work, I'm just saying a little perspective could go a long way. Get over yourself, buddy, issue some apologies, and maybe get yourself some help in dealing with that temper.

No comments: