Monday, February 18, 2008

All-Time Top-Five, or something like that

Anyone who knows me knows I'm a big "High Fidelity" fan- both the Nick Hornby book and the John Cusack movie. I can relate to the power of pop culture - music, movies and television have in everyday life that protaganist Rob Gordon feels. Like Rob, I often catagorize things in my life with all-time top-five lists.

I look at music as fuel for my life. It can make me cry - just the opening strains of some songs can make me cry. The Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova song from the movie "Once," "When Your Mind's Made Up," makes me cry every time I hear it. And it can also inspire and energize me, like listening to India.Arie, "There's Hope."

I go out walking most every morning and I can pretty much plan what kind of day I'm going to have by what I play on my iPod.

Right now I'm working as a journalist, I'm on the third rewrite of my novel (tentatively titled, "The Best Worst Year"), have this blog, and am working on a movie treatment with my brother, Mark, and younger son, Ben. It's a lot to balance. I am often surprised I'm not typing in my sleep. I go through down times for sure, times when I feel like I can't do one more thing, but music helps me, and when I go outside for a hike I bring my iPod and it sets me up for the day.

I knew I had lots of writing to do today, so I tried to program myself to be creative and inspired. Here are five songs I find inspiring that I listened to this morning as I walked in the drizzle and gusty winds:

1."Stronger" - Kanye West. I listen to this song every single day. I find the lyrics powerful and energizing.
2. "Lose Yourself" - Eminem. I know, this isn't very original of me, but come on, there's nothing like hearing how bad Eminem had it living in the 8 Mile to make anything you have to do not seem so overwhelming.
3. "Suddenly I See" - K.T. Tunstall. Between the beat and the lyrics I feel like I'm a girl who can do anything after this one.
4. "Faith" - George Michael. Sure his personal life seems a little sketchy at times - stop driving around looking for love, George! But this song helps me keep the faith that I can keep going.
5. "Friday I'm in Love" - The Cure. Hey, a girl can only work so much, there has to be some love in there too, right?

No comments: