Friday, February 1, 2008

Girl Power!



I was at a going away party for my friend Laura last night. She is going to France for six weeks - the first four by herself to study French, then two with her husband. I admire her more than I can say, and can't wait to vicariously experience all she's going to do.

As I sat there last night, looking around the room at all these women, it got me thinking about how much of who I am I owe to the women in my life. I thought about the Spice Girls and how important girl power and the women I know are to me. Because, really, don't the Spice Girls always make you think about the meaning of life?

There is of course the original woman in my life, my mom, who, at 83, I'm very grateful to still have in my life. We're very different in lots of ways, but she taught me about working hard, being independent and not giving up. She has never critisized my choices as an adult, or as a parent. Not many women I know can say that. Plus, she doesn't think I'm insane for being a writer.
Another incredibly important woman in my life is my daughter Emma, who at 22 is not only incredibly beautiful and smart, she's also one of the funniest people I know. She makes me laugh so much and brings a lightness into my life when things start feeling a little hard. (that's what she said) That my friends is an homage to my girl.

I'm lucky that I have such an incredible assortment of women friends in my life. Talented, smart, funny women who all touch my life in different ways.

There's Mary Lou, who makes these incredible bears, is no-nonsense, and does everything she can to not let you know how truly sentimental and sensitive she is. Lou, who makes me laugh until I think I'll wet my pants, but is also so caring and thoughtful. Laurie is a wonderful writer, mother, wife and friend. She also keeps me on my toes and makes me think about why I feel the way I do about all sorts of things. She's also one of the best-read people I know, and I value her opinion about my writing probably more than she knows. Jennifer is so funny, so bright and is so caring and sensitive, and knows so much about writing, her input invaluable. Deb is my hero - back in school at 50 while being a mom, wife, freelance journalist and aspiring novelist. Pat S is a great writer who works so hard, and is loyal to the core. Cait is thoughtful, and always makes me feel cared about. Judy always makes me feel like I'm good at what I do - be it writing or parenting - even when I don't think so. Nancy is stronger than anyone I know, I am in awe of her.
I could go on and on, but I won't. These are just a few of the amazing women I know. I hope that perhaps this has gotten you thinking about the women in your life. If it hasn't that's cool, you can still have a great time dancing to the Spice Girls! "I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want..."

No comments: