Monday, February 4, 2008

Single With Cat Seeking To Retain Appendages


I just read that the grandaughter of the late Presdient Theodore Roosevelt, Theodora Keogh, 88, died in North Carolina, and I'm kind of freaked out.

You see, Theodora was a novelist (hello! aspiring novelist here!) and she kept a cat for companionship (yes, I have a cat too - see the similarities growing?! ). Her cat wasn't any ordinary house variety though, it was a margay, a South American wild cat of some sort apparently. Mine, fortunately is a Maine Coon mix, and as far as I can assertain, pretty tame

Apparently there was an evening when Ms.Keogh had too much to drink, and while passed out her beloved margay (who chose not to reveal his/her name) chewed off her ear. You read right, so maybe now you can understand my panic - single women living with cats may be eaten by them!

Living single with a cat is a sterotype for sure, but I am quick to point out that I only have one, he doesn't wear funny hats (and neither do I for that matter) and I have a firm grasp on the fact that he' s a pet. Sure I talk to him, and yes, he eats before I do, I take breaks from work to play fetch with him, and since he decided he wants to sleep on my bed with me I have switched sides because he likes mine. Okay, so I'm sort of his bitch.

Since I read and saw "Bridget Jones's Diary" several years ago, I've had a fear of being alone and eaten by wild dogs, (it could happen!) but I never had any worries about cats - until now.

As close as Sashi and I are, I am now concerned that he may turn on me one night. I'm not a drinker, but now I feel like I have to sleep with one eye open, and apparently both ears covered.

I feel bad about Theodora's passing, 88 is a good, long life and it was probably just her time, but I must admit; I do wonder if anyone questioned that cat.

No comments: