Sunday, February 24, 2008

It's Oscar Day!


A few weeks ago here in New England, people spent a Sunday anticipating the Super Bowl. Well, that didn't turn out the way folks in this part of the country wanted, but I have to admit I was disappointed for a few minutes, but for me, life as I knew it went on pretty quickly.
Today is my Super Bowl Sunday, it's Oscar Sunday! The players don't physically get knocked around in quite the same way, (though all the endless Pilates classes, waxing and Botoxing are pretty rigorous) but for me it's much more exciting.
I wrote back in January about how sad I was when the Golden Globes award show was cancelled, and feared that the Oscars would meet the same demise. Thankfully the strike by the Writer's Guild of America ended two weeks ago and everything is normal in Hollywood once again. Well, as normal as anything ever is in Hollywood.
I had my appetite whetted for awards last night with the Independent Spirit Award show. This event has become one of my favorite award shows because since it's on cable, anything can happen. The host last night was Rainn Wilson, and we got to be mock-shocked by things like "Juno" scribe, Diablo Cody, using a word like mother****** in her acceptance speech for best first screenplay, and a short film starring Wilson with Dennis Hopper initiating him into the world or being an indie film star. Let's just say, making Wilson dress as cross-dressing hooker was one of the mildest tests he had to endure.
I think though that the biggest shock of the evening was Angelina Jolie revealing her much-anticipated baby bump - she really is pregnant folks! But if you look at the picture you may wonder what happened to Brad's pants - I think we all have an uncle who wore those very same pants back in 1973.
For me the festivities will begin at noon on E! where I will listen to people try to spin five hours of nothing other than workmen straightening the red carpet, maybe fashioning a cover if it still looks like rain into something interesting. And maybe we'll see some very crazy fans taking to the stands in hopes of catching glimpse of their favorite star hours later. Not exactly riveting television, but for me it's pre-game activity at its best.
There are a few things I'm waiting to see once the action gets started:
1.What will Clooney's girlfriend be wearing for her major red carpet premiere? Whatever it is I will be sure to feel very bad about the pajamas I'll be wearing at the same time while I'm thinking, "That so could have been me!" Well, maybe in an alternate universe it could be me.
2. I'm curious to see how Regis Philbin does on the red carpet. For a guy in his 70s Reege is still damn sharp, I'm betting he'll do great - and he sure as hell can't be worse than Joan Rivers.
3. Will E! have their "shoe cam"? This camera that starts at the stars feet and works its way up seems like something invented as a joke by the same kid who used to drop change on the floor in order to look up women's dresses.
4. Will Bjork be there and what the hell will she be wearing?
All right, I'd better get going. I've already been for a hike to get the blood flowing, but still need to shower, dress and find my special Oscar tiara that I always wear during the show. Don't judge me, we all have our own things we do to feel special. I don't come to your house and tell you you look stupid in that Tom Brady jersey, do I?

No comments: