Monday, May 5, 2008

It's Almost International No Diet Day - Lift Those Forks!

Like most American women I am always thinking about what I eat, and not in a good way. It's a delicate balance of trying to be healthy, self-flagellation and a hearty dose of guilt. No wonder I have indigestion.

Tomorrow, May 6, however is International No Diet Day, so I'm planning on a one day reprieve of obsession. Well, I'm planning on it, but I doubt I'll be able to pull it off.

I know I'm not alone in having started down this road as a teen. It started at about 14 with the Stillman Protein Diet. Luckily even though I've flirted with anorexia briefly a few times in my life, I've managed to sidestep a full-blown eating disorder. That said, it still doesn't mean like many that I don't have a bit of a love/hate relationship with food. And that kind of stinks since we all need to eat.

My daughter is one of those lucky people who can eat pretty much whatever she wants and still slip into her size 2-4 jeans. Hey, she's 22. When she's home I have to remind myself that I am NOT 22, and can't have a lovely dinner AND ice cream AND stay the same weight. So not fair!

On Friday night, after a long week, I rented "P.S. I Love You," (my video guy will often give me movies a little early since I write about them). I liked it, but it was a tear jerker, and to comfort myself I had a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream. As I snuggled on my couch, wiping tears and spooning in ice cream, I knew that as soon as the bowl was empty the ensuing guilt would kick in. And it did. When I crawled into bed that night the shaming dialogue took over. "WHY did you eat that? What is wrong with you?!" Oy, it's so not fun.

So I've decided for one day, International No Diet Day, I will give myself a break, do what I want and not feel guilty.

Yeah, and I think a unicorn and sparkly pony will be making an appearance in my backyard as well.

No comments: