Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Stephen Colbert and Rain Do DDR



I am a big "Colbert Report" and "Daily Show" fan. Sadly, I feel like I get the best news from these two Comedy Central shows.

For a couple of weeks now Stephen Colbert has had a rivalry with Rain, a huge Asian pop star from South Korea, because Rain was ranked higher as an influential person than him. He even did his own Korean music video to compete with the international pop star.

I hadn't heard of Rain until last summer when my daughter returned from studying for five months in China with a computer and iPod chock full of Asian pop music. And now Rain's star seems to be quickly rising. I'm sure it's all Emma's doing :)

Not only is he popular in Korea, China and Japan, he is co-starring role in the new "Speed Racer" movie which is bound to greatly raise his profile.

As the mother of an Asian daughter I am thrilled to see an Asian performer getting this much press. There aren't nearly enough Asians on television, movies and making music. Rain may be a bit of a Michael Jackson knock-off, but I think he's pretty darn adorable and I am thrilled that Colbert has given him as much air time as he has.


Ultimately, Colbert was no competition in DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) and was left in the dust by Rain.

Something tells me though that Rain is not out of the woods just yet. I think that Colbert will continue to keep him on his threat-down list, not as high on this infamous list as bears, ("Godless killing machines") but perhaps a bit higher than Colbert's dreaded robots.

No comments: