Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Michelle Obama Is a Wife and Mother, Not a "Baby Mama"

I am not just a huge fan and supporter of Barack Obama, I am also a big fan of his wife, Michelle.

I'm scared for her though. I know the GOP hate machine is getting geared up and she is going to be in for a hell of a battle.

Yesterday, Bonnie Fuller in the Huffington Post wrote a great essay about just what she will be in for during this election process, and it isn't pretty.

Already we're seeing racist buttons and products, like a sock monkey named after the first African American presidential almost-nominee.

I found it extremely shocking when I heard (on Fox News of course) that Michelle Obama was referred to as Barack's "baby mama." Have you EVER heard that term used for a Caucasian candidate's spouse? Cindy McCain may have been called worse by her husband, but not by the media.

The icing on the cake had to be when the couple did an affectionate fist pound upon his becoming the presumptive Democratic nominee.



I like to think that the media and the GOP will take the high road, but that would be too much to ask. The GOP has already hired the same person who did the famed "Willie Horton" commercials that derailed Michael Dukakis' presidential campaign back in the 1980s, so I expect that we will see lots of mud slinging.

That means it's up to us to see through the rhetoric and find the truth amongst the lies. I just hope that we're all wise enough to see what's true and toss aside the rest.

No comments: