Sunday, June 29, 2008

Writers Are My Favorite!









I adore the movie "Elf" which I've written about before, and one of the best parts for us is the "Smiling's my favorite!" line. We use it for everything, "Chocolate's my favorite!" "Coffee is my favorite!" Well, you get the point.

As a writer it's no surprise that writers would be amongst my favorite people in the world. I've been lucky in my time as a professional writer by how many writers have been so kind and generous (no, you don't have to start humming the Natalie Merchant song here) to me.

One of the most supportive for many years now has been a woman I am proud to call a friend, author Claire Cook.

I met Claire several years ago after interviewing her for a story and then studying with her at the Cape Cod Writer's Center. I always found her to be not only incredibly enthusiastic and hardworking, but amazingly generous as well.

Claire has always encouraged me whether it's through writing for magazines or getting my novel out there to just keep going. Her support has meant so much to me, and has helped me keep plugging away when I didn't really want to.

Claire has published five books: "Ready to Fall," "Must Love Dogs," "Multiple Choice," "Life's a Beach," and the newest: "Summer Blowout."

Her work ethic and total appreciation for her success is something I try to always remember. Even when I don't feel like writing I know I won't get anywhere if I don't.
When I studied with Claire a few things in particular really stuck with me:

1. Write every day. She commits to at least 2 pages a day.

2. "This may be the story you want to tell, but is it the story anyone wants to buy," she said one day. It's a good reminder that publishing is a BUSINESS!

3. Always send thank you notes - even when you get turned down, because...

4. "Karma is a boomerang!" Whatever you do will come back at you - so always put good thoughts and deeds out there.

"I know how easy it is for this to not happen," she has said to me more than once. And she's right. I live in a world of writers. We all want the book deals and the movies made from our books, but it doesn't just happen, a lot of hard work goes into each page.

So, I just wanted a chance to say thank you Claire. Even when you're crazy-busy writing and promoting your book you take the time to ask me if I've heard from an agent or tell me about a contact who might help me. You will never know how grateful I am for your "pay it forward" attitude. You so deserve every success you've earned.








No comments: