Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lazy Sunday -but no Magnolia cupcakes



All right, so this isn't me. I don't sleep in a bed covered with rose petals, but it's a pleasant thought, I guess. On second thought it could be pretty weird.

But I did do something today that almost felt luxurious, and almost like a day off. I woke up and stayed in bed reading for over an hour. It's Sunday, and I wasn't planning on going to church, so I just did...well, nothing. I read about Matthew McConaughey's "love child," what shoes I should be wearing come spring, and saw on VH1 that "Idol" alumn, Jordin Sparks had the number one video of the week. It was lovely.

The thing is, days off are pretty non-existent when you work for yourself. I'm not complaining because it's my choice, and I love what I do, but a day without writing is well, something I can't even remember. It's not always easy wanting to conquer the literary world, being a parent and finding some way to keep a path clear in the house.

The down time didn't last too long, just long enough to make it through this week's People magazine and take a shower. Then it became just another day of going to the dump, doing little cleaning and trying to finish an article for tomorrow's deadline.

That little break did give me an idea of what a perfect lazy Sunday would look like, and I took some notes, just in case it ever happens:

A perfect day off does not include any of the following: trash,cat litter,dishes or removing scum from the shower drain.

It also doesn't include anyone calling with a meltdown, a problem with an ex, or telling me they have the best idea for a story EVER.

It does however include a long,hot bath, the softest sweater and most comfy pants ever. It would also have hot tea, (can you tell I live in New England and it's January?) warm brownies (that inexplicably don't have calories) a bed covered with the most poufy comforter and pillows ever, and the best novel I've yet to read. Yeah that would pretty much do it.

The only thing that would make it better is sharing it with a man with the smarts and looks of Clooney -without the commitment issues,and yeah, that would pretty much do it.

Unless they could come up with some calorie-free cheesecake. That would be just perfect.

No comments: