Thursday, January 24, 2008

Stand By Me

I seem to have food on the brain, because after writing two days ago about eating your friends, here I am writing yet again about my eating habits.
This is because I realized something the other day that I hadn't really thought about before. When I'm alone I eat an average of two meals a day standing up. I don't know why, it's not like I don't own chairs, it's just...easier somehow. I take a bite, move some papers around to make me feel like I'm organizing. Take another bite and wash a pan in the sink. Before I know it I've eaten my lunch, and not sat down for a second of it. Of course none of this seems nearly as fun as the tapas scene to your right. Those folks look they're having a blast, there's not a pot-washer in the bunch.

It seems to totally be a single thing. When my kids are around I usually sit, but I did notice that my daughter was exhibiting a lot of, "I learned it by watching you!" behavior while she was home, often eating breakfast and lunch standing in the kitchen. And of course, she blames me.





It seems to be mostly an issue amongst the eat-to-survive types like me. As far as breakfast and lunch go it's an act of necessity and an effort to stop my stomach from growling at me. Dinner is another thing. I spend some time making something yummy, and do actually sit down and eat, sometimes in the company of something I've DVRd, like "The Daily Show," or an old episode of "Gilmore Girls" It's not dinner at the Ritz, but it's not a pan over the sink either. Though in the interest of full-disclosure I've been known to do that. Well, it saves on dishes!



It makes me see that I think we all have our SSBs, otherwise known as, "secret single behavior." I won't reveal ALL of mine, but I do have a couple:



1. I'm a little obsessed with my feet. I rub them with a pumice thing I bought at The Body Shop every morning when I shower , and I put lotion on them twice a day.

2. I have become obsessed with my Nintendo DS, and have to use it everyday. I don't know that this is bad, it's just a quirky little thing.

3. There are certain movies that no matter how many times I've seen them, I will watch them when I stumble upon them, and they're not all winners. "Steel Magnolia's," - though only until Julia Roberts gets sick, I can't watch her die. "Mystic Pizza," yeah, I don't know why. Any 80s John Hughes movie from "Pretty In Pink" to "The Breakfast Club." What Can I say, I am a total movie slut...



That's all I want to share for now, and fear I've already revealed way too much. It's time for lunch and I need to go stand in my kitchen.

No comments: