Thursday, April 17, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?


I spent last night being interviewed for an Internet radio program called "Books and Beyond."
Now, if you're anything like my children you are probably wondering why the heck anyone would want to spend an hour listening to me because it's the last thing they'd ever want to do. I must admit the same thought crossed my mind as well.
I did a pre-interview last week, and sent them some biographical information, and when I was sent the PR release being sent around by them I had a moment where I wondered who they were talking about. I almost kind of sounded like someone. We're all someone, but you know what I mean.
After spending countless hours interviewing others I admit it was a little strange (and kind of fun) being on the other side of the mic and/or notepad. Seriously, who doesn't like to talk about things they're passionate about - like their work?
I realized when talking to the host, that my path has been kind of interesting - stay-at-home mom to assistant to the director of a school, to life coach to writer. It's not exactly a well-trod path, that's for sure! And if I can encourage one person to be true to themselves and take that road less traveled, well, that's great!
It's so easy to play small, and I'm no different than anyone else. I get so excited when opportunities come that force me out of my little comfort zone and show me what I really can do. I'm well aware of how much of a play-it-safe woman I can be. Well, to a certain degree - I'm a pretty big risk-taker betting on my writing ability and not taking a more secure path. But I actually sometimes think that's lunacy, not risk-taking.
I saw Maria Shriver on "Oprah" yesterday talking about her new book, "Who Will I Be?" She was surprisingly candid about how she lost a sense of self when her husband became the governor of California and she had to give up her television journalism career (NBC felt she could not be perceived as impartial when reporting) and was absorbed by being the First Lady of California. It made me see how we all struggle and question who we are and our role in the world. It seems so often we are what we do, who we're married to and who we mother.
Everyone has a story, and everyone has something to say. I'm not sure that I had anything more important or interesting to say (I can hear my kids saying, uh, no) than anyone else. I think what sets some people apart is a willingness to make a fool of yourself; to stammer and stumble your way through an interview and to skate on some thin ice.
I looked at this as an opportunity to practice for the next step and the one after that. I have no illusions that I am the best writer in the world, but what I do have is an iron will and dedication to my craft. I also have just enough craziness to keep doing it, even when common sense says maybe I should go work at a local bookstore instead of striving to have books on their shelves.
Life truly is what you make it, and really, what's the point if you're not taking some risks and doing what you love? I'm going to keep plugging away because well, I have no Plan B. Plan A is my path and after the fun I had last night, I'm thinking I've made a good choice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, I for one, so wish I was more like this author. Not only does she write as if she's talking only to me, she is more self-revealing than hardly any columnist would dare to be. She's not a 'look how great I am' writer. She is simply herself. I wish I had her courage. Maybe some day I will learn to live by her rules. Not just in her writing skills, but by following her beautiful sense of knowing who she is, and by sharing it with all of us. Thank you.