Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fo shizz, "Juno" is out on DVD today



I confess, I am a Diablo Cody fan. A really big fan. As a writer I am pretty obsessed with words, which, I guess given my profession is a good thing. I saw "Juno" in the theater three times, and will see it several more times I'm sure on DVD.


Academy Award winning screenwriter, Cody created a world within "Juno" that came to life thanks in large part to the incredible Diablo Cody-isms throughout the movie.


I've always admired writers who are so incredibly clever, I felt the same admiration for the "Sex and the City" scribes who created words like "cashemiracle."


So, bear with me as I share with you some of my favorite "Juno"-isms.


1."Up the spout" - meaning pregnant


2. "Technically that would be kicking it Old Testament" - prospective adoptive dad, Mark's retort to Juno's desire for an old school closed adoption - like Moses delivering a baby through the reeds.


3. "Phuket, Thailand!" Juno's friend's response to her pregnancy.


4. "'Thunder Cats are go!'" Juno's announcement that her water has broken.


5. "That ain't no Etch-a-Sketch. This is one doodle that can't be un-did, home skillet." Rainn Wilson's reaction to Juno frantically shaking a positive pregnancy test.


But, my favorite line is Juno talking about her birth mother who left when she was young:


"Oh, and she inexplicably mails me a cactus every Valentine's Day. And I'm like, 'Thanks a heap, coyote ugly. This cactus-gram stings even worse than your abandonment.'"


At 29, Diablo Cody has an incredible writing future ahead of her. A part of me is incredibly envious of how her brain works, (though I suspect it's pretty exhausting inside that head)but more than anything I just want to tip my keyboard to a writer who has, in her first-shot out of the cannon had such tremendous success.


I keep up with what Diablo's doing and working on from her blog on MySpace, I know it's a little weird how much I like her, but I am totally not in love with her, I swear! Honest to blog!

No comments: