Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Gossip Girl" - The Best Show Ever?



I don't admit to many people how much I love "Gossip Girl." Well, unless you count this blog and the readers of my twice-monthly newspaper column, "Pop Goes the Culture." Yeah, I guess the whole world is privy to my inappropriate love for this show.

I had a bit of a debate with my editor last week who thought I had referenced the show a little too often in my column, but felt totally vindicated when New York Magazine put the teen drama on the cover of a recent issue with a story titled, "The Genius of Gossip Girl." Apparently I am not alone in my GG love.

I am way above the teen demographic for this show, but somehow I find myself inexpicably drawn to the salaciousness of the show. My high school experience was certainly nothing like this, and really, that's what's so fun about it. I doubt, unless you are Gwyneth Paltrow that your high school experience was like this.

Why do I love GG? Let me count the ways:

1. Chuck Bass. The incredibly spoiled son of a mogul, Chuck is evil, calculating and manipulative. But, the optimist in me sees the vulnerability underneath the sleazy exterior - I think Chuck just wants to be loved.

2. Blair Waldorf. As the Queen Bee of her group at Upper East Side prep school she wields her power in a mean-spirited self-serving manner that is painful yet fun to watch. I've never understood people who enjoy humiliating others, but find it kind of fascinating to watch.

3. The Upper East Side of New York. This pricey bit of real estate is about as far away from where I live on Cape Cod as you can get. There is a certain vicarious thrill to seeing how blithely people throw money around on personal care, clothing and where they live. As I sit on my sagging couch it's kind of fun to see perfectly appointed homes where money is never an issue. None of these families seem to be concerned with rising health care and oil prices. It's a nice break from reality.

4. Rufus Humphrey. Matthew Settle plays the struggling gallery owner father of Dan and Jenny, and he is the only grown man on the show who I would ever think of dating. He is a little lost - his wife has moved to Hudson, (not sure where that is not being a New Yorker - but it doesn't matter, this cute guy is single) and still in love with his social-climbing former girlfriend, Lily van der Woodsen (who is also the mother of his son's girlfriend, Serena -confusing?).

5. Josh Schwartz. Schwartz is the creator of "Gossip Girl," and was also the creator of "The O.C." - another favorite if mine. This guy has an incredible knack for creating characters, settings and story lines that keep you coming back.

But really, the star of the show is "Gossip Girl" herself. We never see her, though her voice is that of Kristen Bell. No one knows who she is, but everyone pays attention when her texts come through.

I don't care that perhaps people think I should be watching "Masterpiece Theater" instead of this teen drama (which I do watch as well by the way). "Gossip Girl" gives me an hour of total escape. I try not to question too seriously why these high schoolers are allowed in bars and are drinking mojitos and martinis - a certain suspension in belief is needed.

Given the relatively dull nature of my everyday life - sitting for hours at a time in front of a computer trying to churn out amusing literary tid bits, it's kind of fun to live vicariously in the Upper East Side of New York. Even if I know would be cast as the mom, not the hot teen.

No comments: