Friday, April 25, 2008

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow?




In the last couple of weeks I have seen Maria Shriver all over the talk shows promoting her new book, "Just Who Will You Be," and have taken note of her voluminous locks. Maybe it's partly envy - my hair has never bounced and behaved quite so lusciously, but I've been wondering if it's time for her to let the super-long hair go. At some point does it make you look older or does it keep you young? I don't know.

My hair is no where near as long as Shriver's, but with a hair appointment coming up, I've wondered - how long is too long at a certain point in time?

Actresses and women in the limelight, like Shriver seem to get away with it more than those of us in the "real" world. The women I see here on Cape Cod with long hair are more of the stick it up in a bun variety, not the type who are spending hours wrapping hot rollers on their heads.

There comes a point in every one's life where they realize certain things aren't age-appropriate, and it's not a happy time. I am lucky(?) that I have a daughter who is MORE than happy to tell me when something just isn't a fit - be it size or style-wise.

A few years ago I showed up at the school where I was working with braids in my hair. The school nurse was quite honest (and did me a big favor) when she said, "Uh, that's not working." I realized that just because I felt young didn't necessarily mean I should style myself like an 18-year-old.

I've been poring over magazines and accosting people on the street (well, really only at the gym) to ask them about their style - who did their hair? Are they happy with it? Is it easy to maintain? Hey, I'm a reporter - I've got to get my story, even if it is just about my hair.

I have a couple of more weeks before I go and get the blond put back in and make the decision of just how far to go with a new style. I've spent the winter letting it grow so my options would be many, and now I just don't know what to do. For every cute Jenny McCarthy haircut I see, I then see a gorgeous shot of someone with luscious, long locks like Gwyneth Paltrow though my hairdresser is always quick to point out that right out of camera range is a hairdresser with a brush, curling iron and lots of product.

Certainly there are more pressing world issues, (and really, in my own life as well) but our hair is special to us. And it's not just women who love their hair- look at the lengths men will go to to stave off the loss of their locks.

For right now I am going to stick it up in a pony tail and go for a walk. Hmm, if I cut it I won't be able to do that anymore, will I? Oh my, it really is becoming quite the hair-raising decision.

No comments: