Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Looking for Spring to Sprung


Look at this photo and think about all the images you have of Cape Cod. Yeah, this is what those of us who live here year-round get to see. It's not exactly lolling on the beach and eating ice cream while window shopping in Provincetown.
Spring on Cape Cod just doesn't exist. It's winter until about June 5, then it's summer. Sure we have daffodils and crocus' and all the rest, but we also know they could be buried in a light dusting of snow or at the least pummeled by rain at any moment.
The funny thing is, as long as I've lived here I get spring-amnesia every single year. I turn the calendar to March and I feel like I can see this imaginary finish line of winter being over and spring coming - any minute! But it never does, and I am left feeling bitter and used, fooled once again by ads for spring clothes and cute shoes.
The thing about the Cape is being coastal there is a dampness here that gets into your bones and doesn't let up. I've spent time outdoors in other places and it's not the same. Spending time outside - especially at the end of the day - will make you colder than you feel in January.
Every morning I stand in my closet trying to figure out what to wear. I go through the limited selection hanging there, limited even more by the fact that I have to find something that will keep me from shivering and my fingers turning a lovely shade of blue. My wardrobe seems limited to a sea of grey and black - I'm actually wearing both lovely tones as I write this. I look at my cute pink sweaters and shiver - I know there's no way I will last an hour in one of those flimsy numbers.
I fantasize about living somewhere that has actual springs - and I wouldn't have to go that far. Tomorrow we're supposed to have a high of 57 (which doesn't sound bad considering it's 28 right now) but in Boston they will hit close to 70.
The upside of all this is when it's in the 90s during the summer off-Cape it's cooler here. I'll try to remind myself of that when my kids call me tomorrow to tell me how they're walking around Boston in shirtsleeves while I'm wearing a wool hat and parka.
I know the warmth will be here soon, the ca-ching of my furnace constantly running, a faint memory. Until then I will dress in my less-than-flattering layers and find something to distract myself - like practicing my whine for how hot and humid it will probably be in August.
Until then I will deal by drinking lots of hot tea and sitting on my heating pad. Brrrrrrr.

No comments: